THE RANTINGS OF DEB

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The soups for the Bread Bowls!!


Jalapeno Corn Chowder is super easy and super cheap. This recipe makes 4 quarts, so you have plenty to freeze and if you freeze it in a good tuperware it can last up to 6 months.

1 lb carrots
2 sweet onions
8 ears of fresh corn
6 jalepenos
4 oz veggie oil
2 32 oz cartons of chicken broth
10 cloves of garlic ( I just used a whole garlic head cause we like it extra garlicky)
1 Pint heavy whipping cream

heat oven to 450 degrees
rub a little oil on the 6 Japs and toss them in the oven for 15 minutes to blister them. While they are blistering. dice the carrots and onions and peel the garlic(leave it whole). In a deep skillet get the remaining oil smoking hot. Toss in all the carrots, onions, and garlic, you want it to char just a tad. stir ir occassionally.
Remove your Japs from oven and pop in the 8 ears of corn in their husks, roast them for 15 minutes, while you peel and seed the blistered japs. I strongly suggest wearing gloves for this, simply because I have a tendency to rub my eye and hour later and burn the shit out of my eyes! Dice the japs and toss in with the carrot, onions, and garlic. Take them off the heat as they should be good to go. Remove corn from oven and shuck it. Cut the corn from the cobs and pour into a decent size soup pot (remember this makes 4 quarts) Empty your skillet into soup pot. Pour i the 2 32oz chicken broth, bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Now this is the tricky part.
I don't have a large enough food processor so I used my blender and it took me several batches in the blender but this is how I did it.
I got a work bowl that was large enough to hold all the soup. I laddled 8 ounces at a time into my blender and hit pulse a few times until it was the desired consistency, then I poured it into my super large bowl. Once I had down all of the blending I poured the soup from the bowl back into the large soup pot, then you add the pint of heavy whipping cream and let the chowder cook down to the desired thickness, I like it creamy so I simmered it for 20 minutes.

The garnish for this is 1 pint of sourcream with the juice of 1 lime and 2 tablespoons of cumin mixed in. You put one spoon of this mixture a little shredded cheddar and some tortilla strips.

I tell you what this is by far the best soup recipe I have. It takes a couple hours, but it is worth it!

Creamy Tomato Basil
4 1/2 lbs of Plum or Italian Tomatos Peeled ( to peel boil for 20 minutes and toss in an ice bath)
1 quart of chicken or vegtable broth
1/2 pound carrots
1 large sweet onion
several cloves of garlic I used 10
1 cup of fresh minced basil
Two tablespoons of Thyme
1 pint of heavy whipping cream
Olive oil
make a sachet containing 6 fresh thyme twigs, 10 whole peppercorns, 3 bayleaves

Dice carrots and onions throw garlic in whole (This is called Mirepoix just so you know!), put in skillet and cook until soft. Pour into large soup pot. Add whole peeled tomatos, vegtable broth, & sachet, bring to a boil, turn heat down to simmer for 45 minutes, add fresh basil and thyme, continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat, fish out the sachet and toss in trash. Process it however you can, blender food processor, whatever. I prefer mine to be a little chunkier, but do it how you like. Return to soup pot and add the cream, simmer it down to your desired consistency.

This tastes delicious in the rosemary garlic bread bowls I made, Let me know if you like it!


THE RANTINGS OF DEB

ABOUT

Deb
Hill Country, US

ARCHIVES []

CREDITS []

My Amazon.com Wish List

The WeatherPixie

What's My Blog Rated? From Mingle2 - Online Dating

Mingle2 - Online Dating

Who links to me?